Sunday, October 01, 2006

NES


I was just hangin out and started finding game system emulators. I found a great one for the old NES and I'm loving it. Already beat my favorite game Metroid. Check 'em out here if you want.

7 comments:

bunjamins said...

Is that RC1? Beta2? or just a Skin?

And if anyone wants to play legally, I have all those as well.

kjs3 said...

It's build 5728. It's one release after RC-1.

bunjamins said...

I signed up and have the download link, I am only worried about the install over xp, will it screw up user files? Can I take it off when it expires and revert back to xp prof without problem?

kjs3 said...

I think there are some backup options but I don't know about reverting all the way back to XP and it kind of scares me anyway.

Here's how I generally do this stuff with different Linux's and stuff. This might get wordy.

*Have at least two hard drives (one per OS)*
I always partition my drives with the first usually between 15 - 30 GB that will hold the OS and apps and the other is all the rest where I keep my data. This makes defragging on the OS partition way faster and it's the one that gets more fragmented anyway.

XP setup. I use my XP disk and make a nice install with this Then when it's up and running I right click MyDocuments and point the target to the second partition (it will recreate the movies, pictures, and other folders there). I also shut off System Restore on all drives. It saves a ton of space and makes things faster. I'm really only concerened with having actuall data backed up, not Windows.

K, most modern bioses allow you to set which drive is the first to boot from so you don't actually have to change their location on the cable (some even have a key you can hold as you boot to make a quick selection). I set it to boot the other drive (boot from CD/DVD is still very first) and proceed to install Vista using their partitioning utility to do the same small/big partition split. Then when it's all up and running Vista can just read the large partition from the other drive where all my data is.

So that's it. I have to change the bios everytime I want to change OSs but then I don't need to mess with the boot sector and you could mirror your data across the two big partitions if you're concerned about backups. If you just have some old drive that's like 20GB forget the multi-partition stuff and just install Vista on it as a whole. I do clean installs of Windows at least every year so I don't really care about that whole thing being perfectly perserved. I just keep a list of all the little apps and utilities I use so I can get go get the newest version and get back up and running pretty fast. Then you have newer versions without traces of old crap anyway.

And there's a little window into some of Kenny's nerdiness. I'm sure Ben can appreciate.

kjs3 said...

If any of that rambling is unclear let me know and I'll explain. Vista is getting pretty good and I'm booting less and less into XP.

Ben said...

you amaze me

bunjamins said...

http://laurabush.info/roms.html
A simple site with downloads to some roms, easier than downloading a bittorrent program and finding a rom torrent. Just download the program and any games you want to play.